Monday, September 28, 2009

Media consumption LOG # 5

Saturday, September 27 2009

09:00am- 9:00pm

A) Working on the laptop
-Using YouTube
-watching movies
-pop ups before a movie and while watching a movie
- Ads in a magazine

B) While traveling
- Ads inside and outside the bus stop
- Ads on vehicles like bus and car
- Ads on the Billboards
- Ads on the street lamps
- Ads in street TV
- Logos of several companies

Reflection:

-I have to admit, that week by week my media awarness is increasing or maybe I maybe I am just starting to admit what I noticed a along time ago. If you take a certain area for example, the whole of Ramat Aviv, I think the ads change on a weekly basis. I noticed that ads usually belong to at least 3-4 different companies. Those ads are repeatedly placed in the whole area. For example, this week was full of ads by Diesel, Bezeq and two other brands. I had seen them everywhere so many times, that I was completely SICK of it!!! I had them by heart. Advertising in Israel is amazing, the corporations here book a timeslot for their advertising and achieve to implant their message in our brains by repeatedly advertising themselves. It was scary.

-All the pop-ups were on the same subjects like cell phones, tarot cards, dating websites etc. But, I found something that freaked me out, over the week I have seen a scientology advertisement at least 5 times each day. Since when did religion started getting advertised?!!! Overcome by curiosity, I clicked on their video and it was nice and heartfelt like a some discovery channel documentary. I didn’t go on the main website, because I was seriously scared that it might hypnotize me. I found thses ads mainly in website ad spaces.

-I also noticed product placement in several places. A) Beyonce’s song Diamonds advertises the perfume called by the same name which actually under Armani. In fact, many singers actors whoever launch perfumes advertise it somehow in their songs like Hilary advertised her perfume ‘With Love’ by placing it in music video. B) I am a fan of cricket, so I saw during the IPL, the corporations owning the teams always had Bollywood movie star with them, and the supporters as well as the owners were wearing shirts with the corporation name on it like The Kingfisher.

-I saw the ads of the movie Informant just about on every website I went. It’s the fisrt time I have seen a movie advertised so much on the web.

- The ads which I found explicit were the dating sites and the Diesel ad which were the usual girl-boy image. The target audiences were people above the age of 17. And some ads were subtle like the perfumes featured in the music videos. And the Kingfisher ad in the cricket matches. While buying clothing items, I would probably chooses Diesel over some other brands, because I know it’s widely advertised, which proves me the level of quality. As fir the dating sites I have no interest in them. Here a lot ads don’t influence me because they are mostly in Hebrew and I don’t know what they are advertising.

No comments:

Post a Comment