Thursday, October 22, 2009

Reaction to DOVE- Real Beauty Campaign

" No wonder our percerption of beauty is distorted"




Dove “Real Beauty” Campaign is a campaign aimed at all ages, all shapes and all colors. It says it is aimed at diffusing the unhealthy and unsecure environment created by the media such as fashion magazines. It helps young girls increase their confidence and self esteem by ignoring the distorted media images. What we see the Dove Corporation doing here is using good values to sell its brand. It is trying to create this positive image of itself among the consumers. By outreaching girls at such a young age it is instituting its name by the roots and gaining their trust. Of course, Dove Corporation is doing this with a motive. It is a very clever marketing strategy which very few can fully carry out. So by creating a positive image of itself among the consumers it is saying, “We love each and every kind of woman or girl, no matter what, because by imparting good values and a positive image the women will buy our products. This quite ironic because our products despite being chemical made provide real beauty.” In a message concerning the campaign, the company said that they would make all necessary changes to pictures to meet professional standards. That can explain why the girls have light makeup on and no acne at all. Before, knowing about advertising strategies, I would choose Dove over any other brand because of its positive image; I thought the “Dove Evolution” was nice. But now, I just feel like I am being used. So, I was using their products because they promoted real beauty, but now I have started to realize there is nothing real about Dove. They don’t even use natural substances in their products.

1 comment:

  1. Anneka,

    I was very happy that you were able to see through the Dove campaign. It is a very deliberate marketing strategy, and I am glad you were able to see through it.

    Mrs. b

    ReplyDelete